Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fashion Weekly: Goggles and Wirey Hair

After taking several minutes to draw my version of a scientist and then comparing that to the depictions I requested from friends, I found that we all constructed relatively similar pictures. I guess our pictures follow your stereotypical scientists. For example, Goggles over eyes, tongs in hand, wire thin white hair, and long lab coats. These depictions are not far off of what you may see in ClipArt. Little did i know that when you take two steps back, the drawing that i constructed was exactly the opposite of what a "real" scientists looks like. (As far as I know)

So what is the impact of this stereotype that us artists worked so hard to depict?

Well considering my short background in science, particularly scientific writing, I have found that science is far from what it appears to be. In a sense, people get the wrong message when they think about scientists. You immediately think of a nerdy, crazy, Frankenstein making old guy that mixes chemicals. These stereotypes cause a particular difficulty for science writers who are trying to organize and express complex scientific concepts. After all, do you really trust that wirey haired old guy mizing chemicals?

Science writers, as I have learned from experience, are disguised as regular humans. In fact, I feel like any minute they will unzip their costumes and a mad scientist will step out. Obviously I am kidding, but this is my way of showing you how difficult it is to comprehend who is exactly relaying you scientific information. When you read an article, you look at sources and you immediately check the contents credibility. Scientific writers are scrutinized the same way. These stereotypes that me and my friends drew with pencil are what people see when they hear a "scientist" wrote or conducted something. If that trust, or tested credibility is relying on a stereotype then that article will likely not be read.

Scientific writers biggest struggle is getting someone interested in the "boring" science they have chosen to write about. If that stereotype cannot be broken or worked around, then the battle is far from over. Mistrust and misinterpretation in science writing can live or die by that mad scientist that we have drawn and until you experience the "real" scientists, you may never find that interest in science that scientific writers seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment